- Work location
- Dual Location - Home & Reading Office
- Contract type
- Shift pattern
- 37.5 hour week
Senior Legal Counsel - Competition and Regulatory
Our people make us who we are. We’re a diverse and inclusive bunch, and it’s important you can feel you belong here. We value everybody for who they are and what they bring to the table, supporting one another as we continue to deliver for our customers.
At Three we have a hybrid working arrangement in place as standard for office based employees, where employees work from a mix of office based location and working from their home in the UK to carry out their role.
Excluding retail, core hours at Three are between 1000 and 1600, with operating hours between 0800 and 1830. This allows employees to have a start time between 0800 and 1000 and finish time between 1600 and 1830
You will help develop and implement our consumer and network regulatory strategy. You will analyse the regulatory policies affecting Three, develop a response and recommend a strategy to our senior managers. You will engage regularly with the business, advise on issues of strategic, legal and reputational importance and represent Three in front of Ofcom, the Competition and Markets Authority, Government and the wider industry.
You'll be part of our Marketing, Consumer and Regulatory Affairs team within the Legal, Government and Regulatory Affairs function (LGRA). LGRA provides the legal and operational backbone of our business. We help manage our brand, protect our reputation, advise on compliance and advocate Three’s interests and deliver our message to customers, regulators, government and the media.
You will report directly into the Head of Legal, Customer and Regulatory. The Regulatory team manages interactions with Ofcom, the CMA and other regulators such in respect of regulatory matters and merger control. The overall objective of the Regulatory team is to give consumers the freedom to enjoy Three’s mobile services. We also look to challenge industry practices and regulations that limit competition and are responsible for securing competition clearance of mergers and acquisitions and formulating responses to wider regulatory initiatives.
At a high level the role involves taking end-to-end responsibility for regulatory and competition matters affecting the mobile and broadband industry and advising on the application of legislation and regulation to Three’s business with a particular emphasis on customer and network matters as well as being responsible for managing litigation on regulatory policy matters.
As Senior Counsel you would have responsibility for the following areas:
• Managing individual cases and advising on several regulatory policy matters including on the legal aspects of regulatory policy matters such as Ofcom consultations.
• Advising on compliance with regulatory obligations and legal aspects of Policy development and strategy for consumer and network regulatory matters
• Responding to information requests (both periodic and in relation to pre-enforcement or enforcement action)
• Responsible for the day-to-day running of litigation on regulatory policy matters, supporting on matters before the courts and bodies such as the Competition Appeal Tribunal, High Court and CMA and managing disputes/litigation relating to Ofcom investigations
• Managing external advisors to help analyse regulatory issues
• Advising senior management on the best response to regulatory policy issues
• Incident reporting to Ofcom and management of information flows
• Representing Three at Ofcom and Government stakeholder meetings regarding proposed policy initiatives
• Drafting responses to regulatory policy consultations from Government, Ofcom, the CMA and other regulators
• Analysing new product and services proposals and advising on the regulatory implications
• Advising on the impact of changes to regulation and new regulation and supporting operational teams to make the necessary changes
• External stakeholder management e.g. Government, Ofcom, MNOs, FNOs and industry bodies
• Working with many parts of the business including Commercial, Economic Regulatory team, Corporate Comms and Risk & Compliance. You may also work with other parts of the Three Group and the wider Hutchison group on regulatory policy matters.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
• Typically, 8+ years’ PQE and qualification at a well-respected law firm in the UK or another Commonwealth jurisdiction involving advising on regulatory and competition matters.
• Prior UK in-house experience in a telecoms or communications company or regulator, and knowledge of the UK and EU regulatory framework for telecoms.
• Demonstrable experience tendering competition and regulatory law advice on commercial propositions, strategic projects, investigations, reviews, disputes and appeals.
• You have excellent verbal and written communication skills (including experience in drafting regulatory submissions) and can put together clear and concise arguments, advice and presentations tailored to your audience.
Nice to Have:
• Familiar with mobile, internet, telecoms products and technology.
• Experience of working with regulators.
• Experience of supporting large scale programme implementation.
• Knowledge or experience of economics or economic policy work.